QuarterLife Ventures

A twenty-something nurse, runner, and world traveler.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Where are there more mosquitos than Minnesota?

Growing up surrounded by swamps and wet lands in the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes, I should have been well prepared for the onslaught of mosquitoes that greeted us upon our arrival into Grenada. I was not, and I am not sure I will ever get used to their constant presence. Laughing at the thought of sleeping under a mosquito net (surely it was just there to add to the ambiance of island living..) we disregarded it the first night. Big mistake. I awoke to about 20, red, swollen welts up and down my legs. Not only were they much larger than the mosquito bites I am used to, but they itch much worse and have lasted over a week! In response, I have loaded up our house with everything anti-mosquito I could possibly find. And we use 'the net' religiously. In addition, I couldn't be more thankful to Katie (another SO), for introducing me to Odomos Mosquito Repellent Cream. It works marvels, it's not sticky and it doesn't smell like you're wearing loads of mosquito repellent. I have used it daily since last Wednesday in addition to an equal amount of hydrocortizone cream. 

My Sanity.

Because I have had such a horrible reaction to this exotic version of mosquito and Patrick seems to be bite-free, I did a little research: For starters, according to http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2891/do-mosquitoes-prefer-certain-blood-types-plus, mosquitoes prefer type O blood, and least prefer type A. I happen to be B negative. Pat doesn't know his blood type but assuming from his Western European ancestry, he is most likely A or O positive (I love blood- this is not my first time researching blood types...http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-types). The mystery continues.

So on I read: The next site states that people with heavy secretions of cholesterol,  steroids, or uric acid on their skin may attract more mosquitoes...(http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet). This option seems highly unlikely.

Lastly, people who are working out, or exhale a high volume of carbon dioxide may attract more mosquitoes. When we went scuba diving, I was the first one to use up all of my air in every single dive. In essence, I breathe a lot. Perhaps the mosquitoes are just trying to tell me to relax.

1 comment:

  1. The mosquitoes here are seriously THE WORST!! Especially on still nights when the breeze isn't here to help keep them away! Very interesting about the blood types!

    ReplyDelete