QuarterLife Ventures

A twenty-something nurse, runner, and world traveler.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Finally feeling settled


We've been here almost three weeks and I think it's just kicking in that this isn't a vacation. Even though we have been busy doing not very 'vacationy' things, the funny thing about moving is it always feels like that until a month goes by and you're still there. Moving here was a little different then my past 'big' moves because I can't just pick up the phone and call someone back home. We also don't have a TV yet (still working on that one..) so unless I am actively looking for information, US current events is pretty much a mystery to me (but I will definitely be keeping tabs on the RNC in Florida this week and how the RP delegates are faring..). However, the Internet is an amazing place, and because of it I have still been able to chat with and see my friends and family. :)

So, week #3 re-cap: On Saturday I attempted a new running sport known as Hashing (new to me, not to the world apparently..). I was introduced to it by another SO whose husband is an absolute fanatic. It’s basically trail running- we ran through parts of the rainforest, along a beach and through some local neighborhoods- except the twist is that you are following “clues” that tell you which way to go and sometimes lead you on fake trails, in which case you have to turn around and find your way again. If you make it the 5+ miles and are still able to walk at the end, you are rewarded with beer and socializing. Our hash this weekend was 5.5 miles up and down some incredibly steep, long hills (that gave us some amazing views of the island!) and took us approximately an hour and 45 minutes. Now the real challenge will be convincing Pat to come along this weekend… 

If you're curious about what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers 

The rest of our weekend was spent on a 'date night' getting some very good, but expensive sushi, meeting up with a few friends at the bar in our neighborhood, and Pat studying for hours and hours in the library. 

Monday I started my new volunteer nursing position at St. Augustine's. Although there were differences, it was surprisingly comforting to be back in a 'nursing' role. I learned that nursing is still nursing even in a third world country. I work along side Brian, the RN, in an outpatient emergency clinic. The clinic is small and consists of Brian, two receptionists/administrators, the MD (who is very laid back and easy to get along with) an x-ray technologist and three lab technicians. Everyone is friendly and goofy and so far, easy to be around. We had about 25 patients and my designate duties were vital signs. We mostly saw follow up visits and a few wounds, and one woman with diabetic foot ulcers that came in tri-weekly for dressing changes. I did learn a few new things. I had never done an EKG and we did two of them this week. I was actually quite surprised that I recognized and felt comfortable doing most of the things necessary.

Brian, during some down time. He likes to teach me Grenadian history with tourism books when we aren't busy.

Tuesday I went on another walk with Katie, started my 1/2 marathon training with Cayley, and Wednesday I went back to the hospital, ran with Cayley and met up with some girls for BINGO; although I didn't win anything, thanks to Katie, we all got a free afternoon boat ride out of the deal! 

We are finally falling into a routine. Pat goes to school until about 10pm every day. I fill my time at the hospital, marathon training, running errands, doing laundry or working on grad school apps. We eat dinner together and wind down watching movies in bed. Although we're both still getting used to this living together thing (plleeaasseee all I'm asking for is an updated ETA....) so far, I like this new life.
 
The main bus terminal, downtown St. Georges





More of downtown St. Georges, Grenada

No comments:

Post a Comment