QuarterLife Ventures

A twenty-something nurse, runner, and world traveler.

Monday, October 1, 2012

"Please choose your country"

Week 5; 7.15 miles 1:05:48

Musings:
It's amazing the way life can change so quickly on you. I say that as if I didn't have a choice in the matter. As if life took me by the hand and said "let's go!"- and just when I thought we were going one direction, life took a detour- possibly it preferred the more scenic route- and now I'm here: 25, in Grenada, with a man I met a mere year ago. Despite the reactions of the people around me (which ranged from "are you out of your mind?" to "Yes! Take a chance and live life!) this move was not out of character for me. For the first time in my life I am neither working nor in school. So here I am, trying to live in the moment; to really enjoy my surroundings, or as the kid at the bus stop said "you can use this time to find yourself, whatever that means" (sometimes it seems like there is a sign on my head begging people to talk to me..). But with all this working, and studying and moving, and overall 'avoiding'- how much my life has changed in the past year didn't hit me until I was filling out a survey and came upon the prompt: "please choose your country".

Alright, I guess I'll choose Grenada ;)

Before we came out here I set some goals. Maybe I needed a way to add justification to the decision I was making to move here. The plan was to use the first four months to accomplish said goals, and then I would hopefully be accepted to school beginning in January and I could study along side Pat for the remainder of our time on the island.

Goals:
Learn to cook (this has been an interesting one)
Run a marathon (on my way!)
Learn Spanish (still trying to find a cheap Rosetta Stone on amazon)
Start a blog (.....)
Apply to grad schools (in the process)
Study for the GRE again (eh)
Volunteer (SAMS, Limes)
READ!

Since arriving I have some additional Goals:
Learn about a new culture (I ate salt fish.. Trust me, you are NOT missing anything)
Immerse myself in new culture
Figure out how to stretch a dollar in another currency, in a foreign country (ugh)
Try new things (hashing!)
Learn to drive a moped (check!)
Cultivate patience and understanding in my relationship with Pat (and a million other relationship things that could take up a whole new blog but shouldn't because it would be quite revealing)

That last one is important. Apparently medical school is difficult (?!) and takes A LOT of time (huh??) and can make one, hard working student (Pat) very stressed. The difficult part here is separating what is  new in our relationship because we are living together, and what is new to the relationship simply because of school, and all the additional emotional upheavals that come with it.

Some of the recipes I have tried: Quinoa Patties, Confetti Chicken Pasta, Sauteed Chicken Chunks with Coconut Milk

Overview of weeks 6 and 7: Pat had his first exams of med school! He did well but now he is preparing for midterms and is back to heavy-duty studying.

I have continued to volunteer at the hospital; cool story of the week: A man with a constricted urethra (due to BPH) came in to the clinic unable to urinate. It was near impossible to cath the man so our doc used a large bore IV needle and inserted into his abdomen and directly into his bladder to drain the urine- problem solved (for a short while anyway).

Thought you'd all like a visual...


Giving up on our washing machine, I have resorted to doing laundry by hand. 'Nuff said.

I've since added a drying rack and clothes line, but you get the idea...


Our bike broke down and I took it to get it fixed at the local mechanic- interesting experience to say the least.
Our sweet ride





No comments:

Post a Comment