QuarterLife Ventures

A twenty-something nurse, runner, and world traveler.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dengue fever...or not.

Marathon Training: 9.26 miles, 1:31:45. (holy cow!)

So it's been a few days.....err, weeks since I last posted, but apparently I've been busy! Not to mention exhausted after even a half-day spent out-n-about, so most of my nights have ended up with me, face down in a pillow, half watching Greys Anatomy until Pat gets home around 1 am. And about that.. My boyfriend is an extremely hard worker. I did not realize how much he could focus until I moved here with him. He had midterms last week, and he was studying 18 hours a day, every day leading up until exams. Thankfully he saw the fruits of his labors in his grades, as he did great, and I am extremely proud of him.

So with midterms behind us, we actually got to spend a few days together during his break this weekend!

For the past few weeks, the girls and I had been thinking of all the things we wanted to do with our men after midterms were over. We had a big weekend planned, but quite honestly I didn't have high expectations as I knew the boys would be tired from studying all week. Surprisingly, we actually did quite a few things on our list AND... Patrick came on a Hash! Trust me, I was just as surprised as you all. But he did it, and although he might of suffered through it, I do give him props for putting on his game face and doing this with me and our friends- especially since one of our good "couple friends" are the ones who set the hash (basically that means they created the trails through the jungle that we all later hiked through).

Pat and his 'study buddy' Brian 


Me, Cayley and Courtney after the hash

The rest of our weekend was relaxing. We met up for cigars at the University Club on Friday night, and smoked hookah (just tobacco, promise!) on a patio after the Hash. Sunday we did brunch with our friends and then spent the rest of the day in bed watching football and movies. Not a bad weekend, minus the Patriots losing which set us back for a few hours.. On that note, I'll give a little update on the fantasy football situation: With zero real knowledge about football... I am number one in our SO league (knock on wood!), and frankly that is the only reason I like it so far.

So what else is new? As I mentioned, one thing I do a lot down here is cook... And I think I might be starting to really, really like it. I search the internet for easy, healthy recipes on a daily basis, and then set out to the IGA to see if we actually have any of the ingredients listed (click on the link to see where I shop for groceries in Grenada!). One thing I do use a lot here is spice. It is cheap, and can completely transform a meal.

Because we are logging more and more miles every week, and because I want to keep Pat and myself energized (read: sane) through this journey, I have done some research on what we should be eating (and I've just always had a weird obsession with nutrition and food, kind of like the blood thing..). Anyway, last weekend after my 8 mile run, I was so tired and sore I thought I had acquired dengue fever and was surely going to die in our bed hours before Pat got home from the library... apparently all I needed was some protein and gatorade (electrolytes!). Eating healthy when you're working out that hard is essential, especially when considering the heat and hills of Grenada. This article was super helpful for easy things to fit into my diet, even on a low budget.

In addition to staying fueled and ache free, I truly believe good nutrition is imperative to a healthy state of mind, and even more so now since we have undergone such dramatic changes in culture, lifestyle and medical school-related stress. These articles explained what to eat to ease stress and depression.

In summation: We eat A LOT of bananas, and I'm overly obsessed with quinoa. We should eat lots of protein often, and complex carbohydrates that take awhile to be digested by the body and I will be able to run this marathon and we both should be free of mood swings. Hopefully.

Eat me for a better run AND a better relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment