QuarterLife Ventures

A twenty-something nurse, runner, and world traveler.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Westerhall, Grenada

Marathon Training: 11.50 miles, 1:52:57.

One of my goals before moving here was to run across Grenada. Being approximately 15 miles wide and 28 miles from top to bottom, I thought this was completely reasonable, I mean come on, what else do I have to do now? Then I got here. And after my first three mile run, I put that dream aside. The hills, the heat, the incessant humidty and sun that never seem to give up, squashed my goals. However, after over two months of dedicated training, we nearly did just that. Cayley's husband, Nick, drove us directly east, up and down the mountains, and deserted us in the rainforest miles away from what we now call home. You can see our route here: Our Cross-Island Route, it really is almost across the island!


Cayley, Tee and I (taking the picture) about to start 11 miles!
Nick had run the route the day before us and described his experience as nearly deathly as the hills are treacherous and the sun, inescapable. After hearing that, I began to dread 4:00pm Sunday. So I did what I do and I over prepared- even going so far as to make a huge bowel of pasta at 4 am with Pat (it’s not unusual for us to be up that late..). After completing the run essentially ache free and with energy to spare, I’m thankful for Nick for psyching me out.

Westerhall, Grenada, West Indies
In other news, I have a semi-job now! A busy and overwhelmed med-student was looking for someone to help with his laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, and taking care of his two huge, but adorable Labradors. Basically I’m doing everything I already do at home, but for money. It’s not much in pay, but it will bring in enough to help with groceries and my student loans bills. Which is a HUGE relief.

I also visited Calivigny Island for some potential income. The man who owns the island is a French billionaire who put 400 million dollars into renovating his own play ground just off the coast of Grenada. My land lord is his sister. I’ll update if this one pans out. At least I got dog walking and laundry for now..

Other than that, the past two weeks have been slightly uneventful. Pat has been almost stress free now that he’s over the midterm hump and aside from our monetary issues, we’re not doing too bad down here. But lets back up here to the ‘monetary issues’ part. We did some minor budgeting before coming down here, but we did not take into account the insane cost of electricity. Insane as in $700.00 USD electricity bill. After first receiving it, I immediately assumed we were being taken advantage of (paranoid a bit?). So I did my research and learned everything I could about the cost of electricity and wattage usage so I would have an arsenal of facts to present my land lord with, and thus, she would realize she was wrong and take away our bill. That did not happen. She says we use too much air conditioning and that she “warned us to keep an eye on it!”. Too much air conditioning as in we only run it for the 8 hours we are sleeping (and suffer the rest of the day in our mosquito filled hot box), and after some ‘careful monitoring for three days’ she says we are still responsible for the bill. Fail.

So our next adventure is finding a new apartment. We have some appointments tomorrow to go out with a landlord and find a new home. Since we are locked into our lease until December, we will not move until second term. But I have budgeted our entire life, and with a much more affordable apartment, and electricity bill, we should make it through next term just fine.

And since I can’t have a blog without some careful reflection, here is a small look into what’s been on my mind lately: I’m still trying to figure out the whole “live life in the moment” thing. Sometimes I step back, usually while running, and think “wow! I live here, this is amazing and not many people can say they lived in the Caribbean, much less in a third world country!” I look around and think about how this experience has already shaped me so much. Not just me, but my relationship, and how I view relationships in general. I have met so many amazing, warm, friendly, helpful people, that are now my friends. I have encountered cultural barriers and misunderstandings from a foreigners view- something I believe everyone should experience at some point in life. And not just while you’re on vacation, I mean really try to live and go about life as an outsider. It is immensely confusing, wonderfully entertaining, and incredibly frustrating at times. I now know prejudice more than ever. This is an experience I would not give up for anything. But at times, I am still antsy. I still need to know that I will go to school, work full time again, and be able to succeed in life. I wish it were easier for me to just sit back and soak in this experience. Maybe, with time, I will be able to do just that- cause I also never thought I would nearly run across Grenada.

No comments:

Post a Comment