QuarterLife Ventures

A twenty-something nurse, runner, and world traveler.

Monday, April 1, 2013

What You Think You Become- Buddha

So midterm week has come and gone and yet again I am impressed and proud of Patrick's dedication, and the results of it. He has definitely chosen the right career path for himself. I'm excited for his clinical rotations and residency when we will have so much to talk about and learn from each other in terms of our similar careers. That being said, it has only been a mere 7 weeks and I'm already missing my job and my patients. It's all a part of that living in the moment thing I talked about a few months back. I think that is also why I have begun to like yoga so much, as it is difficult to think about much else when you are trying not to fall on your face out of triangle pose in a room full people.

The past few weeks have been slightly uneventful as we don't do much pre-midterm and midterm week. This past week we reestablished "supper club" which ended around 1 am after long and intense night of Scattergories. It was awesome.

Saturday I went to the Hash, which was conveniently in my neighborhood of Lance Aux Epines. It was extremely muddy, and I'm severly disappointed my camera was not working to capture the mess!

Roxie, Andrea, Cat, Cayley and me overlooking Secret Harbor

Since I have nothing else significant to report, I'll talk about running:

Cayley, my good friend and running partner, has been on the DL for the past two weeks which initially put a slump in my running schedule. I hate to admit it, but it's tough to go run 11 miles when you know you're going at it alone! The two of us work pretty well together to get the other one motivated, even when one of us is too hot, thirsty or exhausted to keep going. However, after reading plenty of articles on the subject of marathon running, I decided to put one topic to the test. It appears most long distance runners are innately less anxious than the rest of the population (among other atributes, but this one stuck out)- I would not describe myself as less anxious than anyone. I over think, I worry, and it's something I have tried to get a hold on since I can pretty much remember. While I do share some characteristics with typical runners, this was not one of them. However, I realized it made sense. If you don't over think that you are about to run 20 miles (will I be able to? will I get too tired? what if I can't make it home?), it makes it much easier to get out there and 'just do it'. So today, I decided to attempt this and go out and do my long run, solo. Although my Runkeeper app said I was supposed to run 12 miles, I realized I probably didn't leave myself enough time to do the whole thing before it would get dark, unless I drastically improve my  speed. I started by telling myself to run as far as I could without thinking about it, making sure to leave myself enough time to turn around and be home before dark. I ran from my apartment in Lance Aux Epines, to the end of Port Louise, which was exactly 4 miles. To be honest, I think part of my ability to turn around and run home was due to adrenaline, as I was actually kind of nervous being that far away from home at dusk. I did bring mace. I ended up running 10 of the 12 miles, as my ipod died in the midsts of mile 8 and while I have proved that I can run alone, I have yet to be able to run without music. I have no desire to conquer this.

A view of Port Louis

I am thankful this is where I get to live :)

That's a wrap; I am still obsessed with cooking so here is what we've been eating:

Garlic-Olive Oil Tilapia

Baked Red Snapper with Quinoa salad

BBQ Beer Shredded Chicken

Wednesday- Bacon Meatloaf

Thursday- Quinoa Pizza Bites and Parmesan-Ranch Chicken

Monday- Thai Peanut Sauce over Chicken and Noodles.

Tuesday-  Tilapia and Macaroni and Cheese; this was actually pretty bland and not something I'll make again.

Wednesday- Clam ChowderBean Salad- Pat loves Clam Chowder, which made me even more nervous to attempt to make it from scratch, but he gave this one a thumbs up :)

Thursday- I hosted supper club: Chicken Gyros with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce; IGA happened to be out of Greek yogurt (go figure) so I found a way to create my own! Here is how I did it: Make Your Own Greek Yogurt

Friday- Honey Orange Tilapia: SUPER easy and quick.

Sunday: Since Pat is currently under the weather, I found a soup with ginger in it since that is supposed to help with loosening secretions (TMI!); this was super easy since most of it comes in a packet and was really tasty! Coconut Ginger Soup

We've also been indulging on this a few mornings this week: Amazing breakfast French Toast


2 comments:

  1. Good for you for running that distance, Katie! I can't wait until I'm back out and running with you. I never thought I'd be someone that would claim to miss running, but I am!

    Nick and I have been making a "tea" that might help Patrick - you just put a few slices of peeled ginger in the bottom of your mug, a tablespoon or two of honey, and if you feel like it, half of a cinnamon stick. Just pour boiling water over it and let it steep for a few minutes. I just leave all of the stuff in the bottom of the mug as I drink it. Hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading :) I can't wait until you're back too! I actually almost called you the other night to see if you had any ginger. That combination sounds wonderful so I think I'll pick some up from IGA today!

    ReplyDelete