QuarterLife Ventures

A twenty-something nurse, runner, and world traveler.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

We're Almost Done With Year One!

It's hard to believe that two weeks from today I'll be back in Minnesota. Pat and I had lunch together today (something I've been trying to do weekly to catch some rare, uninterrupted quality time with him..) and we talked about how fast this year has gone by. I cannot believe it's been nearly 9 months since we first arrived in Grenada and that Pat is almost done with his first year of medical school. What an incredibly eye opening, adventurous, challenging, crazy (almost) year it has been. On that note, I also cannot believe I am going to be 26. My irrational anxiety over this approaching day is so high that I often already think I am 26- that is how often I think about my ever-increasing age and all that comes with it. In my early 20's it was hard not to feel like I was going to be young forever. The dreaded 30 seemed so far away (and SO old) that I rarely thought about it. I felt this way all the way up until May 29th, 2012. That was the day I realized I was halfway through my 20's, and with nearly one more year under my belt the dreaded 30 is that much closer. I do realize that 26 isn't that old, but back at 22 I thought I would have become this mature, sophisticated adult by now. Quite honestly, some days I still feel like I'm 22- with slightly more life-experience under my belt. I may be a bit more mature, but I am far from sophisticated. That image in my mind has slowly eroded to blend in with reality. Now I have to start thinking about things like retinol creams and when I should get my first mammogram (I am young, but as my mother is currently in remission for breast cancer I am supposed to start doing this now), not to mention the increasing importance of my credit score and, what will happen to my eggs if I don't use them soon?!

Ahhh, deep breath.
I should really put this energy into something more productive, and lets be honest I don't want kids any time soon and there is always botox to consider...

Now for a look back at the past two weeks:

I have been back to St. Augustines for the past two weeks with Amanda. It is a much more pleasant experience driving up to the hospital in her car instead of taking the hot, crowded city buses. It was so nice to be back and it felt good that everyone was happy to see me again. Amanda and I were surprised to discover that Brian, who is actually a medical assistant (not a nurse as I previously stated), has been taught to do sutures and has done them on patients. In the US only a nurse practitioner, physician assistant or doctor is legally allowed to do sutures but as Amanda and I both have hopes of becoming an advanced practice nurse, we asked Brian to teach us!



Brian, preparing for a dressing change. 
Amanda's pro suturing skills at work.. kind of. 






You can see were were quite busy that day...

 On that note, I am almost done getting everything sent in for graduate school applications. The frustrating part is waiting for my references to get their recommendation letters sent.  A few schools are completely done, but as the competition is great, I am trying to apply to as many schools as possible. This notion makes me anxious and a little bit insecure. I am confident in my skills and my academic background is competitive, but I know that this field is gaining popularity at a rapid pace and many, many qualified people are also applying. If things do not work out this year, I can always take classes at home and apply again next year. I'm trying to let that settle in my mind...

Random updates: I made a craft! I wanted to add some decor to our boring white walls, so Jessica taught me how to make these pictures durable with canvas and mod podge. Running continues and Cayley is finally cleared to join me again! AND we are number 1 in kickball!!

Patrick continues with facilitating DES and attending another selective on top of studying 24/7. He "can't wait for this term to be over" and we both are looking forward to the laid back 3rd term that starts in July. I am still super proud of him and I can't wait to have some medical school-free time with him during break this summer!

My craft project with Jessica! Pat and me jumping the cliff behind campus- Thanks to Nick for the photography! 

A view from my run. 
FOOD!

Thurs- Creamy Tomato Pasta

Fri- Tilapia- Po Boys with Brocoli

Mon- Canellini Bean and Tuna Salad, and Breaded Parmesan Ranch Chicken- I loved the bean salad. I was iffy about adding the tuna but it turned out very good.

Tues- Maple Salmon with Brocoli

Weds- Black Bean Burgers

Thurs- Buffalo Chicken, and mixed green salad-

Fri- Vegan Pinto bean and Sweet Potato Tacos- AMAZING.

Sat- Chicken Adobo with cooked Carrots- I thought this turned out really good. Pat seemed to like it but he wasn't raving.

Mon- Butternut and Blackbean Enchilada Skillet- This was SO good. I will make this again before I leave. It was easy, quick and seriously delicious.

Weds- Supper Club at Nick and Cayley's!

Thurs- Pepper Crusted Salmon and Pinto Beans -Thanks to Courtney, I have become slightly obsessed with reading the backs of cans in the store to get recipes.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I know what you mean about age-anxiety. I'm 2 1/2 years away still, but I sometimes forget I'm not yet 40. :) And yet, at other times, I feel like I'm still 26...

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete